Home > System Center Configuration Manager > ConfigMgr 2012 R2 Initial Updates Sync Fails: Failed to set Subscriptions on the WSUS Server

Recently I encountered an issue in my lab during the initial Software Updates synchronization. The sync failed and as a result no updates were available in Configuration Manager. This blog post describes the issue and how to resolve it.

The Issue

When examining the wsyncmgr.log the following entry is logged:

• Sync failed: WSUS update source not found on site PS1. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.. Source: getSiteUpdateSource

image

As indicated in the previous error log, more information was to be found in the WCM.log. This is a screenshot of that log file:

image

This particular entry was indicating something was failing with the Subscriptions:

• Failed to set Subscriptions on the WSUS Server. Error:(-2147467259)Unspecified error

The entry logged just before that one points us further into the right direction:

• Subscription contains categories unknown to WSUS and SUP has no upstream server.~  Please either unsubscribe the unknown categories or import into WSUS an upstream package containing them.

Workaround

The WCM.log entries refer to specific categories that are unknown – but do not specify any further details. I suspected there was an issue with the classifications and products that were enabled by default in the Software Update component configuration.

To work around this issue I followed these steps:

1. Go to the Software Update Component properties and deselect all Products and Classifications which are enabled out-of-the-box.
  2. Force the Software Update Synchronization to run. Monitor the WCM.log and WsyncMgr.log to validate the synchronization is now running successfully. Note that no updates will be synchronized at this point, but the products and classifications catalog will be synched as part of the process.
  3. Enable the required Products and Classifications that were disabled previously, and run the synchronization again.
    Once I went through these steps the synchronization was working fine again:

image

Hope it helps!

Tim

Advertisements
  1. Roel Janssens
    July 3, 2014 at 11:00 am

Thanks for this! I got the exact same error and your approach helped me get a little further.

Just above the the line “Subscription contains categories unknown” you see three entries which apparently do not exist in WSUS. For me it was only one product namely ‘Windows 7 Language Packs’. I unchecked this product in the Software Update Component and now the sync starts succesfully *woohoo*

However, I do need that product! Well, let the sync finish and I’ll continue troubleshooting from there.

2. July 3, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for your feedback Roel – happy to see the information was helpful.

After the first successful sync, when you then re-enable the Win7 Language Packs, does it work properly?

• October 11, 2014 at 9:46 am

Hi,

Earlier my SUP is working fine in SCCM 2012R2 on Server 2012. Then Its was sync with WSUS.
      Then I removed the WSUS and SUP so many times but no result.
      Error in WCM log
      Wsynccmgr.log
      Sync failed: WSUS update source not found on site HQO. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.. Source: getSiteUpdateSource SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER 10/1/2014 7:00:00 AM 5220 (0x1464)
      STATMSG: ID=6703 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE=”SMS Server” COMP=”SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER” SYS=HQOSCCM2K1201 SITE=TST PID=2128 TID=5220 GMTDATE=Wed Oct 01 03:00:00.469 2014 ISTR0=”getSiteUpdateSource” ISTR1=”WSUS update source not found on site TST. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.” ISTR2=”” ISTR3=”” ISTR4=”” ISTR5=”” ISTR6=”” ISTR7=”” ISTR8=”” ISTR9=”” NUMATTRS=0 SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER 10/1/2014 7:00:00 AM 5220 (0x1464)
      Sync failed. Will retry in 60 minutes SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER 10/1/2014 7:00:00 AM 5220 (0x1464)

Please suggest for the same.

• October 14, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Did you try deselecting all products and classifications and then run a synchronization?

3. Roel Janssens
    July 7, 2014 at 11:24 am

I was hoping to test your approach but strange things are happening ~ the product ‘Windows 7 Language Packs’ isn’t visible anymore on the Products tab of the Software Update Component. Syns seems to work fine thought, also no warnings or errors in wsyncmgr.log or wcm.log.

4. Marcel
    December 3, 2015 at 10:37 am

Thanks Tim !!! This solved the issue for me. Worked on SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU2.
    Great article!!!

• December 3, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback – happy to hear it helped!

5. June 15, 2016 at 11:09 pm

This was very awesome Tim, I linked it to both my Spiceworks and Linkedin account, and I pray to god people see this and don’t waste days trying to fix something they really havent broken!!! Awesome work sir!!!

6. David Wolf
    May 24, 2017 at 9:18 pm

I know this is a bit old, but I’m having this same issue. I’ve tried all the troubleshooting listed here, deselecting all products and classifications and then run a sync, uninstalling wsus and the SUP. Still having the same issue in SCCM 1702.

• May 24, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Any specific errors in the wsyncmgr.log ?

• David Wolf
        May 25, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Sync failed: WSUS update source not found on site CFS. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.. Source: getSiteUpdateSource

Looks like I can sync from the WSUS console, running one now, but I get that error every hour.

1. No trackbacks yet.