ConfigMgr 2012 R2 Initial Updates Sync Fails: Failed to set Subscriptions on the WSUS Server
Recently I encountered an issue in my lab during the initial Software Updates synchronization. The sync failed and as a result no updates were available in Configuration Manager. This blog post describes the issue and how to resolve it.
When examining the wsyncmgr.log the following entry is logged:
- Sync failed: WSUS update source not found on site PS1. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.. Source: getSiteUpdateSource
As indicated in the previous error log, more information was to be found in the WCM.log. This is a screenshot of that log file:
This particular entry was indicating something was failing with the Subscriptions:
- Failed to set Subscriptions on the WSUS Server. Error:(-2147467259)Unspecified error
The entry logged just before that one points us further into the right direction:
- Subscription contains categories unknown to WSUS and SUP has no upstream server.~ Please either unsubscribe the unknown categories or import into WSUS an upstream package containing them.
The WCM.log entries refer to specific categories that are unknown – but do not specify any further details. I suspected there was an issue with the classifications and products that were enabled by default in the Software Update component configuration.
To work around this issue I followed these steps:
- Go to the Software Update Component properties and deselect all Products and Classifications which are enabled out-of-the-box.
- Force the Software Update Synchronization to run. Monitor the WCM.log and WsyncMgr.log to validate the synchronization is now running successfully. Note that no updates will be synchronized at this point, but the products and classifications catalog will be synched as part of the process.
- Enable the required Products and Classifications that were disabled previously, and run the synchronization again.
- Once I went through these steps the synchronization was working fine again:
Hope it helps!